This is the first in a series of posts introducing the Redbacks community to our hard-working Board members. We’re kicking off with our President, Anthony Nixon.
Anthony Nixon’s first involvement with the Perth Redbacks was when his daughter Emily started playing domestic with the Manning Magic at Vic Park in 2010, followed by starting out in WABL in 2011. In her first year of WABL Emily was selected in the WA State Schools U12s team and Anthony and family travelled with her to Dandenong for the tournament.
The process gave him huge insight into the culture of other basketball clubs. He quickly realised that, as a parent, he was really happy with the values that Redbacks had as a club.
He joined the Board later that year, and in 2015 became President.
At that point in time, both his kids were playing basketball for Redbacks. Son Mitchell had also started refereeing and this, (along with his own experience as a referee), gave Anthony insight into the journey of young referees and the challenges they face when officiating at a WABL level.
Anthony’s driving passion as first a Board member, then later as President, was to build a club and club culture that he, as a father, wanted his children to be involved in. A club that is competitive and challenges its players to be their best, but also one that treats everyone in the club with respect. And understands that basketball is part of a life journey, not just a sporting journey.
He also continues to desire that Perth Redbacks juniors are able to see a clear pathway towards playing SBL for our club and maintain a high level, competitive SBL program.
With it looking likely that WA will be joining NBL1 in 2021, Anthony sees the next few years as a wonderful opportunity for the Perth Redbacks to come together strongly as a basketball family and show their ability to compete with the very best clubs.
Anthony Nixon Board CV
Relationship to Redbacks
- Emily and Mitchell and first joined the PBA as a part of the Manning Magic domestic basketball in 2009.
- Anthony coached many seasons of domestic for Manning Magic.
- Shahna was Committee member and Treasurer for Manning Magic for several seasons.
- Emily started WABL in 2010 and played every year through to U18s and joined the WSBL squad for 2018. Emily Played in the Championship D League 2017 team. Emily also played in Nationals for WA on three occasions.
- Mitchell is currently in U18 Red WABL and has played WABL every year since U12s.
- Anthony has been a Head WABL Coach for five seasons and an Assistant WABL Coach for three seasons.
- Anthony and Mitchell are both experienced Level 1 WABL Referees.
- Kwik Kopy Perth has been a Major Club Sponsor since 2013.
- 121 Creative has been a Club Sponsor since 2016.
Redbacks Board Experience
- PBA Operations Director in 2010 -2013
- PBA Vice President from 2013 – 2015
- PBA Club President in 2015 – current.
- PBA Roll of Honour recipient
- University of Technology Sydney – Bachelor of Business
- 1991-1995: KPMG – Accountant
- Moved to WA in 1997
- 1997 – current: Owner of Kwik Kopy Perth CBD
- 2003 – current: Owner of 121 Creative Perth CBD
- 1997 – 2017: Kwik Kopy Owners Association
- 2013 – current: Various Business Consulting