Simon Woods and wife Kate have daughters Isabella and Harriet, and son Max, all of whom play WABL for the Perth Redbacks in addition to playing in the PBA Domestic competition.
Simon distinctly remembers how, when his family first walked into the Redbacks, how welcome they were made to feel. He loved the direction he could see the club heading in and so joined the Board in 2018 with a view to putting his connections and business networks to work helping the club ‘fight the good fight’! (His business Woods Midland also came on board as a Corporate Sponsor.)
To date, the most satisfying thing for Simon about being on the Board has been seeing the huge growth in the experience and capabilities of the Board. Simon says, “When we had the ‘call to arms’ for volunteers late last season the response was immense, and it showed to me as a Board member the true extent of the reach and the opportunity we have.”
What excites Simon about the future of the Perth Redbacks? He says:
While we are already a powerful and respected member of the Western Australian basketball community that has a long and enviable history, imagine our strength when we have our ‘own home’? Couple this with our huge catchment area and an integrated Seniors and Juniors program, all backed by a culture of family and inclusiveness … I believe our true potential is still to be unleashed!
Simon has a degree in Commerce from Murdoch University with majors in Marketing and Management and postgraduate qualifications in Insurance and Risk Management.
- Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing and Management).
- Fellow of the Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance, via Deakin University.
- Qualified Practising Insurance Broker.
- Diploma in Financial Services – Insurance Broking.
- A career general insurance broker and risk management adviser, born and bred in Perth.
- In excess of 25 years international insurance experience having worked in the Perth, London and Sydney insurance markets.
- Extensive business relationships locally, nationally and internationally.
Other Current Positions
- Board Member – Penrhos College Foundation (PCF)
- Chairman – Menrhos (A committee of Penrhos College designed to foster Dad and Daughter relationships and fundraising for the PCF)
- Managing Director / Founder / Owner – Woods and Associates Insurance Brokers (WAIB). Simon obtained and holds Australian Financial Service License (AFSL) number 474828 on behalf of WAIB.
- Managing Director / Majority Shareholder – Woods Midland Insurance Brokers, a Corporate Authorised Represantive (CAR) of Melbourne based insurance broker Midland Insurance Brokers, CAR 1262140 and AFSL 238963.
- Responsible Manager – BMT Insurance Brokers (Newcastle, NSW) who hold AFSL number
- Royal Perth Golf Club
- AJ Diamond Club (coterie group of Fremantle Football Club)
- Fremantle Football Club
- Perth Wildcats
- Player Life Member – Melville Cricket Club